LENGTH:50secs Reading Time
The Club Begins Its Long Innings
Documentary evidence that Chipping Sodbury Cricket Club was in existence in the year 1860 is contained in a report to the Charity Commission on Corporation property under the Municipal Corporation Act of 1883.This report included extracts from the minute book of the Bailiff and Burgesses of the Ancient Borough of Chipping Sodbury (the predecessors of the present Chipping Sodbury Town Trust) who administered certain property including the land at The Ridings.
Under a minute with the sub-heading "Cricket ground", dated May 5th, 1861, there is reference to a letter being read and received by the Bailiff from the secretary of the Chipping Sodbury Cricket Club seeking permission for the renewed use of the Stub Riding "for the members and their friends to play cricket in."The application was granted but with the stipulation that "no injury to be done beyond the actual playing of cricket."
It is worthy of note that the cricket ground at The Ridings formed part of the land given to the Burghers of Chipping Sodbury in the 12th century by William le Gros, whose father was a nephew of William the Conqueror.