Post War Revival (1947-1949)
[LENGTH:3mins Reading Time]
Player's who took part in Charlie Barnett's Benefit Match at The Ridings, Chipping Sodbury, 20th September, 1947.
After seven years of inactivity as a result of the 1939-45 war and its aftermath, Chipping Sodbury Cricket Club staged a modest comeback following a public meeting held at the Literary Institute at the beginning of April, 1947, when Major L. Montague Harris presided. Mr. D. M. Arthur was appointed secretary and the working committee comprised Messrs. W. Vickery, J. Sandells, G. W. Palmer, J. Colman, J. Peachey, P. Freenaway, D. H. Kirby, L. Gale, W. H. Evans and H. King. It was decided to operate one team only, initially, although there was plenty of enthusiasm among the players.
The Club played its first match since 1939 at The Ridings on May 17th, defeating Pro-Cathedral C.C. by 90 runs.
During an evening game with Coalpit Heath at the end of June, Graham Wiltshire (then l6 years-old) made his presence felt as a bowler, taking 5 for 20. The general feeling expressed at the annual meeting on December 5th, 1947, was that the Club had made good progress under adverse conditions during its first year of activity since the war and with increased interest much in evidence it was decided to field two teams in 1948.
The Club's financial position, however, was none too rosy as a result of abnormally heavy expenditure which included £30 on repairs to the old pavilion. Francis Hill was appointed 1st XI captain with Ron Tranter as his vice-captain and John Peachey was made 2nd XI captain.
On February 9th, 1948, a re-union dinner was held and a presentation was made to Hugo King on completing 20 years as umpire. On May 8th, 1948, Wally Vickery (63 not out) and W. Powell (29) added 87 runs for the ninth wicket against P.O. Telephones, enabling the 1st XI to declare at 218 for 9 and with John Pettit taking 6 for 17, the visitors were dismissed for 64. Pettit continued to bowl well. He took 7 Wotton wickets for 27 runs on June 5th and in the return match with P.O. Telephones on June 12th he claimed 6 for 8, securing his first "hat trick" of the season in an evening game with Wickwar later that month.
A last wicket stand which produced 54 runs between C. Organ (48 not out) and Harry Lewis (22) enabled the 2nd XI to reach 123 against Dyrham's 38 on June 26th. A. P. Fume Roberts took 7 for 42 against Wotton Bassett on the same day, and in an evening game against Wickwar in July, Graham Wiltshire secured 8 for 18.
Most successsful 1st XI batsmen in 1948 were Ron Tranter, Francis Hill, John Pettit, while Pettit, Graham Wiltshire and A. P. Fume Roberts emerged as the best bowlers. Other players with the 1st XI that season were Wally Vickery, W. Powell, Percy Greenaway, Harold Willis, J. Stephens, Sid Dunkerley, John Binks and John King.
As a result of the acquisition of a new pavilion and the re-laying of the square with Mendip turf, an expenditure of £264, was reported at the annual meeting in February 1949. Wally Vickery took over the duties of secretary; John King was appointed 1st XI vice-captain and Norman Buckeridge was elected 2nd XI vice-captain. During the winter of 1948-49 Club members erected the new timber pavilion which was officially opened by the Club president (Major L. Montague Harris) on Whit. Monday, 1949.
Graham Wiltshire's continued success as a medium pace bowler soon aroused the interest of the Gloucestershire C.C.C. and following the Tom Goddard Benefit match between a County XI and Chipping Sodbury at The Ridings towards the end of the 1949 season, Graham joined the County staff, playing for the Etceteras and the 2nd XI. After completing his National Service he made his debut for Gloucestershire in 1953.